Tuesday 10 March 2009

All about the SRC President

Charles Miles is the president of Student Representative Council at UNC. After so much controversy from last year's election, I wanted to know more about him, and what he is doing to help voice UNC students' concerns.

Figuring out the direction I wanted to take was the easiest part of writing this story. I knew I wanted to show how he represented the students on a daily basis. After that was decided, the hardest part was finding time to meet with Miles. As SRC president, he has several commitments to keep. After finally getting to talk with him for about 15 minutes, I had most of the information I needed to write the story. 

From my research, I learned that it is difficult for students to complete the grade appeals process without losing financial aid. From writing and rewriting, I learned the importance of proofreading, but I know I can still work on becoming a better editor of my work. I also learned I need to ask more follow up questions while I'm interviewing. 

After all was said and done, I feel that what I did well was covering sides most people wouldn't think to follow up on, such as interviewing Barrett Rothe, Miles's opponent in the election. I think that adding this side gave the story a concluding feel to the level of competitiveness from the election by showing how Rothe reacts to Miles's presidency.

No comments:

Post a Comment