Wednesday 1 April 2009

A Day in the Student Trustee's Shoes

I wrote my day in the life piece about the SRC Student Trustee, Bob Vincent. Vincent advises the Board of Trustees as to what SRC is doing. I struggled with two things on this piece. On they day I shadowed him, we attended the Board of Trustees meeting, and I really struggled to pay attention. I overcame this by focusing on detail gathering. When did he look at his watch? How is he sitting? How involved is he in the meeting? Does he fidget? Unfortunately, this attention to detail gave me too much information, and I had to cut about 400 words from my original draft.

Having so much information made it easy to write this article, and I feel that I did well keeping details in the story that was relevant and made the story interesting. From writing and rewriting, I learned how to become impartial to my words and be willing to cut vast amounts of what I’m saying to become a clearer writer. This is something I still need to work on. From the research I did, I learned more about the position of Student Trustee and more about the demands of being a leader on SRC.

No comments:

Post a Comment